Saturday, January 2, 2016

Book Review:

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart
2/5: After finishing the book, as usual I gave some time to recollect everything and put it in words. The writing style is unfortunately not to my liking. Writing in such confusing manner which often brought me into questioning what is going on. It could be what the author wants - for us to keep questioning. But I realized the book is just like that. It just ended simply like this, like O-K-A-Y.
If I start on this book, I'll have just jumped to the end, on the truth. Because the start and the middle is just a little here and there, even though they do add up a bit to the reasons in which why the tragedy happened. Also, the book addresses social issues - the rich and poor a little but it was put it out a little shallowly and in the kind which is just cliche.
As its been said, it is a tragedy book (We Were Tragedy) and its accidents are not really that easy to stomach.
Sorry to say, the cause of (spoiler: deaths) is pretty stupid. I mean its allllllll pretty stupid.. entirely.. this book.

Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
5/5: OOOOOO I REALLY LOVE THIS. The thriller is really done well. The plot builds up appropriately and was in a good pace. I also like how the author describes the MC at the start to be a really disoriented, screwed up, unlovable kind of fella. And slowly as I read on, even though the author don't put it straight forth, she gave slight hints on character development. I love how the MC decided to find out more about the murders, starting it was about money, but then slowly it wasn't about $$$. Its more on not running away anymore, not living in denial, the guilt, the shame. It was terrific. I pity her mother, the struggles and pain. The murders were really quite sad and unexpected (but I did suspect about it before the truth unraveled). 
Besides that, the chapters were put in different perspectives and timeline perfectly which do not confuse the reader, but helps in the build up of the story climax.
I truly truly enjoy this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment